Top 5 Things to Ask Before Surgery
Updated: Jul 8, 2019
Once you are a doctor, you become the go to person for medical advice for your entire family. Here are the top five things that I tell my own family when they ask me should I get this surgery.
1. The first question to ask yourself is that, "Do I really need this surgery?" If its emergent, it is emergent for a reason, it is usually life or limb related. However, for elective surgeries, I ask my family members how much does it affect them. Is it worth the risks of surgery to improve that aspect of life?
2. What are the risks of surgery?
3. What are the alternatives of surgery?
4. Did you give it enough time prior to surgery?
5. Are you ok with never ever feeling the same after surgery? Surgery isn't a magic solution.